Thursday, September 13, 2018

The Maximum Sentence for Polygamy

See the source image
http://img.talkandroid.com/uploads/2014/01/Judge_Gavel.jpg

Even though many men served 6 month prison terms for cohabitation, what was the maximum allowable sentence for polygamy under the law?
a.                  1 year and $100
b.                  5 years and $500
c.                   4 years and $400
d.                  2 years and $200
Yesterday’s answer:
A   Marriage
From the life of Martha Cragun Cox:   I had fallen into keeping company with a young man of no very lofty ambition nor striking virtues but had agreeable manners—liked to dance and have a good time, and my family made no objection to our associations. I knew him to be a tippler of wine though I had never known him to get drunk. The fact that he loved wine and that his father was a drunkard did not disturb me much and I gave him reason to expect I would stay by him and marry him, but a conversation I had had once with McCarty on the subject of my marriage would come to me sometimes with such force that it finally took lead in my mind especially when I saw the sparkle in his eyes when he quaffed a glass of wine. McCarty had said to me at the time mentioned that if I marries a man who loved whisky as well as my father loved it I could not hope to have a posterity whose natural endowments would be equal to that even of the mediocre among men. I knew enough of the Gospel to realize that responsibility of parenthood and the condemnation I would be under in imposing this curse on my posterity. Again, I had many time said with much earnestness that if a husband ever came home to me drunken and abusive as some men in St. George did to their wives, “I would kill him.” And I fully believed that I would do it. Though I knew that no murdered could enter the celestial kingdom.

Women’s Voices-An Untold History of The Latter-day Saints 1830-1900 (Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Company, 1982), 276-277.

No comments:

Post a Comment