Sunday, September 20, 2020

Living up to Her Name

 

http://historyofthesaints.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/04A-The-Rescue-of-Willey-Handcart-Co-by-Glen-Hopkinson.jpg

Cold from their trek that day, the Martin Handcart company settled in for the night. George Grant had something that others in the company were anxious for. Some where grabbing to get at the much sought for commodity. Others were grabbing more than their fair share before all received some. Patience Loader was waiting her turn when George Grant noticed. She said to him, “my names Patience and I’ve been Patiently waiting, “ causing George to chuckle as he handed her what she was waiting for. What was it George was handing out?

a.                  Wood to start a fire

b.                  Flour

c.                   Buffalo meat

d.                  Extra blankets

 

Last Sunday’s answer:

B.   That the rescue companies were very close

From the life of Patience Loader Rozsa Archer:   I will say we traveled on all day in the snow but the weather was fine and in the middle of the day the sun was quite warm. Sometime in the afternoon a strange man appeared to me as we was resting as we got up the hill. He came and looked in my face. He said is you Patience. I said yes. He said again I thought it was you. Travel on. There is help for you. You will come to a good place. There is plenty. With this he was gone. He disappeared. I looked but never saw where he went. This seemed very strange to me. I took this as someone sent to encourage us and give us strength.  

We traveled on and when we got into camp there was five or six of the brethren with their wagons camped there. They had been and got quantities of wood and they had already made about a dozen big fires for us and there was plenty of lovely spring water. That was a great treat to us for the last water we had seen was when we crossed the Platt River. We had nothing but snow water and that did not taste very good as we had to melt it over the campfire and it tasted of sage brush sometimes cedar wood smoke. We felt very thankful to our brethren for making us these good fires and supplying us with wood so abundantly. I really must say that I was very thankful for since our dear father died it had fallen on me and my sister Maria to get the most of our wood and I thought it was so good that we did not have wood to get that night after such hard pulling all day through the snow and it was nearly dark when we got in camp.

Women’s Voices-An Untold History of The Latter-day Saints 1830-1900 (Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Company, 1982), 231.

No comments:

Post a Comment