Sunday, March 29, 2020

Ox Blood


See the source image
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2012/11/13/us/OXEN/OXEN-superJumbo.jpg

What was ox blood used for in the early days of Utah?
a.                  Fertilizer
b.                  Furniture Stain
c.                   A cure for Cholera
d.                  An insecticide to kill crickets
Yesterday’s answer:
B   Violin
From the life of Samuel Jepperson:   I learned to play the violin when I was fourteen. I had no instrument, but I made a crude one from a cigar box. One time Father was working on the railroad in Echo Canyon, and he left a yoke of oxen at home. My neighbor said that if I would go into the canyon and get four loads of wood for him, he would give me his violin. My mother was not very enthusiastic because I had no shoes, but I went anyway, and I got my fiddle. It was a poor one, but I learned to play it.
Lesson Committee, Museum Memories-Daughters of Utah Pioneers, (Salt Lake City, Talon Printing, 2010), 2: 109.

No comments:

Post a Comment